Talk, Learn, Share, Create, and get Critique on all your Card Tricks.

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Approaching People and Performance

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Holo
Principal
Principal

PostSubject: Approaching People and Performance   Sat May 10, 2008 8:01 pm

Hey guys, I made a video that I thought covered exactly what you need to know in order for you to go out there and perform street magic. Unfortunately YouTube did not want to upload that long a video so I will write you what I consider the ultimate guide to Street Magic. Feel free to copy and paste this or print it. It is here for your use and for the use of others, so enjoy!!!

Preparation:
Before you go out and do street magic, there are several things you need to have down before you can do anything else. First of all, your appearance counts. I would make sure you smell nice, your breath doesn't stink first. Next, what always is good is a nice pair of jeans and a clean T- Shirt. With that setup you can't go wrong. you don't look like a slob and you don't look overdressed. So now you are dressed and ready to go. I would recommend carrying three decks of cards: 2 the same color and 1 odd backed. This will be good for preparing torn and restored cards as well as color changing cards. No you are ready to go do some street magic.

Find Your Spot:
In every state in every town the neighborhood is going to be different. You have to evaluate where you live carefully. For example I live in NYC and most of the people there aren't particularly friendly. So I found a couple dog parks were people sit down and I do magic to them. So think about possible places for you to go do magic. If you live in an extremely friendly neighborhood it would be great for you to just approach people walking on the street, but that is not easy. I would not recommend malls because people are generally pretty intent on finding what they want to buy. So go and find a spot that you think will suit you.

Approaching People:
I know all of you are scared and think that you should wait a while before you actually perform on the streets. The trick is to just do it and do the exact same thing every time. I generally just walk up to people who are sitting down at the dog park and say, "Excuse me, do you have time to see a magic trick or two?". This actually gets pretty good reactions. The trick is to be polite and if they say no, then just walk away. You do not want to come off on the wrong foot or else people go berserk. If you live in a more friendly place than I do, then feel free to introduce yourself first, then explain to them that you are a magician. If you feel uneasy about that, then just ask them straight up if they would like to see a trick. Your goal is to get them to say yes, and all you need to remember is to be polite and to JUST DO IT. Getting attention is a knack that will come with time. JUST RELAX.

Performing:
Don't worry this will be a lot easier than getting people to say yes. I will keep this section short. Relax yourself, make conversation with the spectator, and do tricks that you can do blindfolded. At first I would start with tricks that require no audience participation until they know that you are to be trusted. For example, I open with some basic card tricks that I will be teaching shortly, and then I move into more advanced tricks such as Stigmata which requires the spectator to squeeze your arm. Make sure to evaluate the spectator before getting too personal with them. If they don't seem that friendly wrap it up quickly, but if they are friendly then make conversation and connect to them as much as possible.

I hope this guide has been a help to you. I would recommend remembering what I said about your weakest points and just keep them in your head. if you have any questions just post them and I will respond A.S.A.P.
Thanks,
Holo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MaskedMagician13
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Approaching People and Performance   Sat May 10, 2008 8:08 pm

That Was Excellent!! Extremely Helpful! Thanks from me, and Thanks for contributing this to the site! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cardmagic.ace.st
Holo
Principal
Principal

PostSubject: Re: Approaching People and Performance   Sat May 10, 2008 8:13 pm

No problem, it was a pleasure!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thecavschosenone
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Approaching People and Performance   Sat May 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Nice Holo! That was really helpful! I'm sure this'll not only help the beginners, but it'll probably help the more advanced magicians also. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Holo
Principal
Principal

PostSubject: Re: Approaching People and Performance   Sun May 11, 2008 12:37 am

Thanks, i just thought it would be good to have considering how much trouble i had doing street magic the first time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HampS
Teacher Moderator
Teacher Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Approaching People and Performance   Sun May 11, 2008 8:00 am

That was great!
I really had get som tips, but I think I'm going to wait in til the Malma marken. It's a pretty big market with some...eh... don't know the nameof that.
But it is one little roller coaster and som other ( don't know what to cal them in englisch)
But it's like funy machins that you can ride.
Hop you understand and sorry for the oftopic.
But really like what you did say in you poste! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jasons199
New Card Magician
New Card Magician

PostSubject: Re: Approaching People and Performance   Mon May 12, 2008 11:41 am

Thank for the tips Smile !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thecavschosenone
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Approaching People and Performance   Mon May 12, 2008 11:42 am

jasons199 wrote:
Thank for the tips Smile !!!

Hey even though, most of us know who you are.. you should head over to the introduction section! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Approaching People and Performance   

Back to top Go down

Approaching People and Performance
Page 1 of 1